Solihull Liberal Democrat MP Lorely Burt has been promoted to Lib Dem Deputy Chief Whip following the resignation of Mark Hunter, MP for Cheadle.
The position, also known as Assistant Government Whip, will see Mrs Burt work with senior government ministers and backbenchers to deliver coalition policies.
Mrs Burt's promotion comes as part of a small reshuffle of Liberal Democrat ministers.
- Lynne Featherstone MP has been appointed Minister of State for Crime Prevention at the Home Office.
- Baroness Northover has been appointed Parliamentary Under-Secretary of State for International Development at DfID.
- Lorely Burt MP has been appointed as an Assistant Government Whip.
- Tom Brake MP has been appointed as an Assistant Government Whip, in addition to his current role as Deputy Leader of the House of Commons.
- Baroness Garden has been appointed as a Government Whip; Baroness in Waiting; and Government Spokesperson in the House of Lords.
Mrs Burt said, ""I am delighted with my new role, but - as ever - will carry on fighting as hard as I can to deliver for my constituents in Solihull, including campaigning for more hospital beds for mental health patients.
"As Deputy Chief Whip I will also continue the Liberal Democrat work of creating opportunity for everyone by building the stronger economy and a fairer society that Britain needs."